The Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum (CECF) was established in 1991 as an umbrella organisation for the cities Black, and minority ethnic communities. It became a registered Charity in 1997 and incorporated in 2001.
We are proud to be a user led organisation. We have over 35 member groups and are currently managed by 9 Trustees from some of these groups. The Bangladesh Welfare and Cultural Association, Cambridge Chinese Community Centre, Chinese Families Together, Escuelita CIC (Spanish Community), Jewish Residents Association, Khidmat Sisters and the Sudanese Community.
Our work is developed and organised through three key strands:
- Engagement, Information and Support for groups in Cambridge, both in terms of group development and advice for start-up groups. This includes community capacity building through training sessions or civic engagement exercises.
- Race Equality Services for individuals and groups to provide access to services for disadvantaged city residents and help for those facing discrimination. Users include asylum seekers, refugees, and migrants. In addition to the cities established Black and minority ethnic communities.
- Community Cohesion Work bringing communities together to help promote better understanding and respect between people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. This includes organising an annual cultural diversity day in Cambridge.
Our vision is a world where diverse communities live in harmony and every individual, regardless of race, nationality or ethnic origin, has the opportunity to realize their full potential.
To bring together individuals and organisations, of different cultural and racial identities, as a collective body to work towards:
- The elimination of racial discrimination
- The promotion of equality of opportunity
- Good relations between persons of different racial groups in a spirit of conciliation and co-operation
- Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion
To see the outcomes and the difference our community work has been making please see our latest Impact Report.